Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Warmer temperatures have finally arrived

This past weekend was productive. I was able to start another tray of 3/4" seed blocks (180 blocks) to make up for things that did not germinate well in the last batch (most likely due to lower soil temps). I planted sweet pepper, basil, chard, celery and more tomatoes (Sun Gold). I also started kale, romaine lettuce, morning glory and catnip . This time, I put a 6' string of lights under a single tray and set the thermostat to 80 F. Kale and lettuce seedlings began to appear within three days.

I also harvested about 6 gallons of kale before the plants got too far along in bolting. Much of that will be frozen for use in smoothies.

On Monday I transplanted from the basement into the garden about 50 plants composed mostly of choi and mizuna along with a couple of chard.

First transplants

Pre-transplant harvest

New 3/4" seed block tray with kale and lettuce sprouting



No comments:

Post a Comment