Thursday, May 31, 2018

Hot dry days

We have had a week now of unseasonably warm weather. The ground dried and cracked a few days ago where not tended with a garden hose. Most of the early greens like spinach, tatsoi, cilantro, parsley and mizuna have bolted at this point. The good side of this is that I will soon have a lot of open garden space for planting the celery, cucumbers, kale, peppers and beans that were started in the basement.

The experiment with planting a lot of lettuce closely together did not pan out. Most of the plants have remained very small while the lettuce with more space has matured nicely. I will probably replant the smaller lettuce to give it more room to grow once the beds are cleared.

Holes are appearing in my choi leaves. I wonder if they are related to the flies I have seen congregating on the plants, or if it is slugs and I need to refresh the beer traps?

Raspberries, peas, columbine, lupine, azalea, rhododendron, iris and coral bells are blooming. Peonies, lily, loosestrife and clematis are preparing to open. Apples, forget-me-nots, quince, lilac, bleeding hearts and tulips are mostly done. The maple trees just dropped more seeds than I can ever remember seeing before.

I need to get the irrigation system going soon, do some transplanting and build a couple more frames(?).


Azalea, rhododendron and coral bells

Columbine, lupine, azalea, clematis

Fly on choi, related to holes in leaves?

Super Sugar Snap peas blooming/Shade cloth





No comments:

Post a Comment