Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Transplanting out



The seeds that were started last week were in dire need of transplanting, so I planted many of them directly in the second garden frame (not counting the strawberry frame). I also planted many of the seedlings that were started in March. The protective covers in the picture are meant to protect the plants from severe weather and insects until they get a little larger:
8 lettuce
8 kale
4 chard

I tried germinating some marigold and old lettuce seed (from early-90's) on damp paper towels in plastic bags. The marigolds sprouted well, but not a single lettuce seed. Now I know what to do with those packets.

Under the lights, the tomatoes seedlings are looking great and the first kale, lettuce and chard plantings are large enough to plant out.

I like the soil block idea, but it does take a little more effort to prepare the blocks than to fill containers and it is causing me to procrastinate. No sign of life from the blocks that contain the pepper and basil seeds. I see the advantage now of having the smaller size (3/4") blocks. They will take up less space while waiting for seeds to germinate. Thankfully, I received an offer for one from Gullywash Gardens, can't wait to try it out.

Forsythia is in full bloom and the hyacinth was especially fragrant this morning. Vinca vines are flowering in the back. The apple trees have green leaves just beginning to unfold and the lilacs are a little bit ahead of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment