Thursday, April 28, 2011

All hail, the baggy!


I have settled on the baggy method for starting seeds. I find the suspense and disappointment of looking at barren soil-blocks day after day, wondering whether anything is happening under the surface, to be too much. Also, by the time the seedlings appear in vermiculite, the roots are too long to easily incorporate into soil blocks.

While searching for confirmation whether the top of a fluorescent light fixture is an appropriate place to start warmth loving seeds like peppers and basil (it is), I found an excellent reference on the baggy method by Rob at Rob's Plants. The only way that I differ in practice from Rob, is that I have been placing the seeds on top of a paper towel in the baggy so that I can see what they are doing without opening it up. Also, I seal the baggie completely (as completely as one can when using non-sealable sandwich bags), and place a label on each with the planting date and variety.

With the baggy method, one does not need to keep an eye on the moisture level and one can see at a glance whether the seeds (any of them) are sprouting. It is also easier to find a micro-environment inside at the right temperature to make them sprout most quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment