Monday, April 11, 2011

Transplanting


This weekend we played catchup. The tomatoes, basil, and peppers were finally planted in soil blocks and the first two plantings of greens were transplanted into soil blocks. That is kind of backwards, because soil blocks are not meant for transplanting, but for starting and growing on from seed; but I wanted to get away from plastic pots, so we just split the soil blocks in two, placed the seedlings in-between, and will let the seedlings sew the two halves back together.

Tendersweet cabbage sprouted on Friday (18 days), Moss-curled parsley sprouted last night (20 days). I had taken to putting the seedling trays in the refrigerator overnight and taking them out during the day in order to simulate cold-nights and warm days.

Daffodils bloomed yesterday in our 77 degree weather.

4 comments:

  1. actually ,richard, barb has a small soil block maker that goes right into a large soil block that has a square hole in it, so we seed in one size and pop it up into the next size when it is ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know about the smaller block maker, but I have been holding off to see if I really need the 3/4" size or if, at my small scale, I can just start everything in the 2" blocks. My problem was that I started seeds before I had the seed blocker, so I needed to insert the entire root into the block by slicing it in half. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roy, does Barb cover the seed blocks until they germinate? Mine grew white fuzz after a few days and I took them out of the bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb puts the small blocks in a tray which she covers with
    shrink wrap and they go into the germination chamber if they need heat
    or whereever. Those little blocks dry out pretty fast otherwise!

    ReplyDelete