Monday, April 18, 2011

Popeye's Delight


We now have two Cherry Sun and four Paragon tomatoes growing under the lights. The peppers have yet to awaken. I picked up some fresh spinach seeds this weekend which will hopefully have a better germination rate than the current stock. I also purchased a container of baby spinach greens for green smoothies. I have dubbed this recipe "Popeye's Delight":

2-3 cups of water
2 frozen bananas
1 dollop peanut butter
1 dollop honey
2-3 cups fresh spinach greens

Blend thoroughly and enjoy!

Daffodil and hyacinth have been up for a few days and forsythia is beginning to show some color. We saw some snow yesterday and it is currently snowing heavily again.

3 comments:

  1. If your Cherry Sun is as prolific as the one I had in CO you'll be delighted. My success I attributed to a South facing white wall.
    I'm gonna try your Popeye's Delight tomorrow morning in the VitaMix. EarthFare store had a coupon online good for a 10 oz clamshell of organic baby spinach with any $5 purchase. Easy to get buying the ONLY cat food Ivy likes! Do you have that store? They are cloned from Whole Foods but not quite as expensive. Happy snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I subscribed to your feed reader. It told me of the Popeye entry at 12:40pm EDT on 4/19 altho you posted at 9:50am EDT on 4/18. I had long ago commented. Poor Mr. Google, he must have been off counting his bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Google is like that :)

    I am planning to keep the tomatoes in containers near a sunbathed wall, I am expecting a bumper crop.

    The closest thing we have to Whole Foods is Wegmans, which is a supermarket chain that understands quality and has a ginormous natural food section. I hope that you enjoy the smoothie. For me, smoothies are the answer to the lifelong question of how to eat more green vegetables while enjoying every moment.

    ReplyDelete