Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Seedling Progress

This weekend, youngest and I planted out about 150 snap peas. We planted them three abreast in a 1' x 8' row.

Peas in morning sun in soil blocks

Peas in garden bed

Garden bed covered with ag-cloth


I also transplanted celery, parsley, marigold, and cilantro from micro to mini-blocks. Some straggler tomatoes and basil were planted from micro into regular blocks. The process is very fast when the soil blocks are made with the micro-block dibble, otherwise each plant needs to be inserted into the mini-blocks with a chopstick or a similar tool. Because I used the latter method for most of the seedlings, this took a couple of hours.



When I ran out of seed blocking mix (512 mix from Johnny's), I tried an experiment by purchasing regular potting soil mix and then adding sand. Note that the sand is brown and says "for molding". The sand needs to be "sharp" to hold its shape. The soil blocks are working but they are not as strong as those made with 512 mix. I have been using three quarts of soil mix to one pint of sharp sand, using a yogurt container for measuring (6:1 ratio).





No comments:

Post a Comment