Thursday, April 27, 2017

Root Bound Garden Squares

I was preparing a new garden frame this weekend to replace my tree root infested frames. I took off one of the old frames and tried to salvage what soil I could. It turned out to be a much more difficult task than I expected. The tree roots created a tough interwoven network within the soil.

I can't be angry with the tree for finding water and nutrients within easy reach, but dangit, I spent years building up the fertility and tilth of that soil. It is a bit discouraging to see it taken over like this in the span of a couple of seasons. There is nothing to do but to learn from the experience, salvage what I can and start over again.



Tree root bound garden soil

Detail of frame edge

Tree roots extracted from two 4' x 4' garden frames

No comments:

Post a Comment