Thursday, May 19, 2016

Ramps

I saw some ramps (allium tricoccum or "wild leek") at the Co-op this morning with roots still attached. I remember being introduced to ramps in middle school while running cross-country trails through the woods and haven't had them since, but I thought this would be an interesting addition to our diet, so we now have several planted in frame 2-1. From what I understand, ramps like to stay in the shade during the heat of summer, so maybe I won't cut back the silver maple all of the way. It might be good to have one or two frames in the shade during the hottest part of the day for heat sensitive plants like lettuce and peas.

More cucumber seeds have sprouted and a couple of summer squash. The earliest tomato plants cannot wait longer than this weekend to be transplanted into larger containers. I have concluded that it was not vole damage but an overlooked harvested tatsoi that I found in garden frame 1-2 the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment