Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Self-sufficient for salad

On Monday evening, we harvested two of the radicchio that overwintered, filling an 18 quart container. We also harvested two of the lettuce plants that overwintered along with some beet thinnings and arugula which filled a 13 cup container. We are now self-sufficient for daily salad greens for the foreseeable future (savings through October ~$130).

This morning, I found that three of our raspberry plants had been nibbled to a nub, so I quickly improvised some protection with chicken wire. I suspect that this was the work of the two bunnies I saw last night, it was the foliage near to the ground that was damaged.

Yesterday, I started some cherry tomatoes, parsley and basil inside using the baggy method and planted nine chard outside. This is a very late start, but better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment