Monday, May 14, 2012

Another sunny weekend

I gleaned more lettuce from the garden on Friday. I believe that we are self-sufficient in lettuce at this point, so that should save us at least $5/week. The kale is quickly approaching maturity, while the chard has quite a way to go. The peas are about 18" tall and on schedule for a June harvest. The strawberries are amazingly abundant this year. I can see how one may actually harvest a full quart from each plant.

We received two plum trees (Green Gage and Big Blue) and fifty more strawberry plants (Tristar and Honeoye) from Miller Nurseries last week. I will have to get those planted soon. I also need to get some tomatoes, parsley and basil started. I should probably just buy plants, but...

Our first iris bloomed on Mothers Day. We spent the afternoon working in the front yard, planning a new patio, and planting geraniums, poppies and gladiolus.

No comments:

Post a Comment