Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Progress


It has been a while since I have written. Looking at the photo with the last post, those plants have all grown tremendously and we did get everything except the tomato, peppers, parsley and basil planted that weekend. We have been making progress with the garden amidst birthday celebrations, chorus recitals and soccer games. One thing that we have learned is that it doesn't pay to put out seedlings too early. Though cold-tolerant plants like lettuce, spinach and cabbage can survive frosty nights, it is the seedlings that matured a little more inside before planting out that are now flourishing the best.

We now have three garden frames fully planted and two more under construction. I felt that I needed to get some tomatoes planted, so we planted them among the peas even though the peas are only two or three inches tall. Hopefully, these plants will get along. No sign of frost in the forecast.

Now blooming in the yard are violets, vinca, quince, pilewort (buttercup), garlic-mustard, forget-me-not, cuckoo flower, ground-ivy, dandelion, and apple and pear trees.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting to compare the temperature effects of your high latitude versus our high altitude. We are considerably behind regarding frosts. The 'books' say last freeze date is May 15, but traditional local gardeners test a first planting in early May, a second in mid May and try not to cry when all is lost and the 'third time is charm'!
    You are very clever to calculate all your expenses and savings. Sounds like the beginning of a book. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deanne,
    I am planning to write an article for the village paper at the end of the season at any rate. I like being scientific about the process and trying different things. I know I would find it helpful if someone in my area was providing this kind of information.

    I am really excited about trying different ways to extend the season. I am sure that you could plant cold-tolerant plants in your area as early as early/mid-April, no problem. It is the frost-sensitive plants that need to go out later, and even they will survive if you can cover them on frosty nights.

    P.S. I like Ivy's poem. He's one cool cat :)

    ReplyDelete