Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Cold Weather Continues/Greenhouse Monitoring

As the cold weather continues with regular nighttime temperatures below freezing, I am happy to have plants starting in the basement and greenhouse to remind me that spring is very near. Of the seeds that I planted in the greenhouse, only the mizuna have appeared above the soil. In the basement, just about everything has sprouted, with the tomatoes, chard, arugula, choi and zinnias the furthest along. I haven't seen any peppers or cilantro yet. I think they need a higher soil temperature to germinate.

In other news, I finally have some monitoring setup in the greenhouse. I put together an Adafruit ESP8266 Breakout Board with a DHT22 temperature/humidity sensor. I can now keep tabs on the greenhouse temperature even when I am away by checking on my phone. It will also send me an email alert if the temperature goes above 80 degrees. Here are links to the monitoring dashboards:

Current Temperature and Humidity:

History and Graph of Temperature:

The next step is to add a sensor on the outside of the greenhouse and then to add a soil temperature/moisture and ambient light sensor. Maybe a motion activated camera as well to photograph any visiting varmints.

Mizuna sprouting

WiFi Temperature and Humidity Sensor

No comments:

Post a Comment