Monday, April 25, 2016

Harvesting and sprouting

The spinach and beet seeds that I have been experimenting with starting in jars (like when making alfalfa sprouts) are just beginning to put out roots. I will have to get those in soil in the next 24 hours. Some of the seeds that were started in micro blocks April 20 emerged on Saturday (cauliflower, cabbage, poppy). On Sunday, I harvested the remainder of the kale from last year and most of the choi because it was beginning to bolt. That yielded about three gallons of kale leaves and the equivalent of two grocery store heads of chinese cabbage (choi). I also harvested a bunch of asparagus which was delicious steamed.

I am starting a spreadsheet to keep track of garden output this year and will be providing updates as the season progresses. So far, I have harvested the equivalent of 1 bunch of asparagus, 3 bunches of kale, 3 heads of leaf lettuce, and 2 heads of choi. I will be experimenting with making Ann Wigmore's sauerkraut with the choi and the stalks are also a great substitute for celery.

No comments:

Post a Comment