Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Some growing, some harvesting, some storing away

Some of the newly planted green beans are already five inches tall! The new lettuce, kale and chard are also doing well, maybe another three weeks before the lettuce is ready. Last weekend, I pickled some beets just for the experience. I only had enough for one pint, but they turned out well. We also made some pesto for the freezer. I will be ordering some alternative greens (mizuna, arugula, savoy, pac choi) from the Johnny's catalog and planting an entire frame with them. I am also planning to start an entire frame of carrots and beets for fall harvest.

I finally made it to the Buffalo Garden Walk this year. We visited the cottages on Little Summer. The gardeners there have created some really magical spaces.

The Japanese beetles came out in force following the soaking rain we had last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment