Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Beans planted

The old (1994) seeds did not germinate so I planted 32 pole beans this morning after soaking them overnight. You may ask why I had bean seeds from 1994? I guess that shows how much I like green beans... but I received a special request from family members for them, so Aunt Mary provided Purple Trionfo Violetto and Emerite Haricot from Pinetree Gardens. With luck we/they will be eating green beans by the end of September.

I harvested the first quart of basil from our garden and noticed that the cherry tomatoes are starting to flower and fruit.

I also (finally) got the grape trellis up so the grapes have something more than a metal stake and protective fence to grow on. The Japanese beetles are much reduced after daily swims in rubbing alcohol, but they have still taken their toll on the foliage.

I ate the first raspberry yesterday from our raspberry patch. It reminded me of my grandfather's raspberries on Whidbey Island, Puget Sound. I remember eating them with cream and sugar. What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment