Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lilies, basil and lettuce


The "ditch lilies" (as DeAnne likes to call them) appear to be blooming everywhere except our yard, but will soon add some much needed color to our front gardens along with the pink spirea.


The lettuce that was planted several weeks ago continues to grow at a rapid pace. We will probably start harvesting that next week. I checked on the basil that was planted at the beginning of June under plastic covers and found 13 seedlings. I transplanted them to an even spacing and they are now growing along with the garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes in one frame.


I realized last night as I was watering the garden that we don't have nearly as many beets and carrots growing as we would use. I am planning to start an entire frame of them soon for a fall crop. I have noticed that the beets that were planted next to kale are in most cases stunted due to shade.


We harvested two carrots recently and continue to harvest lots of lettuce and kale. The peas are pretty much finished with four pods harvested yesterday. I believe that we can begin harvesting onions and garlic and have enough to provide for our needs for a while.


Once again, the ground is drying out here in WNY and there is mostly sunshine in the forecast. Remember to keep your plants and trees watered.

No comments:

Post a Comment