Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Growth spurt

Just yesterday I reported that the lettuce was about an inch tall -- make that two inches tall! It appears to have doubled in size in just two days. At this rate, we will be harvesting new lettuce by the end of next week. I placed shade cloth over the lettuce since the forecasters are calling for temperatures in the 90's over the next couple of days. We have been harvesting and giving it away to avoid any of it going to seed. There remains still half of the original closely planted frame and about four nice heads in the other frame.


I apologize for the lack of photos. My daughters took both cameras to camp, but DeAnne did snap a photo of the lettuce in the sink this morning. She said it was so pretty, it looked like rays of green sunlight radiating from the bowl. I will post the photo as soon as she sends it over.


The grape vines are also growing like crazy. I need to setup the guide wires soon to begin to train them horizontally.


This morning, I opened the window shade to find a bunny gnawing on some grass in our front yard. He then hopped over next to our statue of St. Francis.

No comments:

Post a Comment