Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Strawberries, grapes, catawba, fireflies





We have begun harvesting strawberries in earnest. After a couple of two or three strawberry days, we harvested seventeen on Sunday.

This past weekend, two more seedless grapes were planted, one red (Canadice) and one white (Himrod). Youngest made one of the best Basil/Arugula pestos I have ever tasted. I will post the recipe once she finishes with finals and sends it to me. I was pleasantly surprised to discover another catawba tree in the backyard and this one is flowering, so beautiful. The flowers are orchid-like and waft a wonderful scent.

The container gardens are quickly filling and in some cases spilling out of the protective frames. There are quite a few tomato fruits beginning to appear.

Fireflies are abundant this year. I haven't seen so many since I was a kid growing up in Maryland. Squash have been flowering for about a week. Gardens three and four are at their peak. One more garden frame was started from seed yesterday with four varieties of carrot, two varieties of beet, four varieties of lettuce and two varieties of kale.

No comments:

Post a Comment