Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Abundance

We made our fifth harvest this past weekend from a single row of four squares in garden four (about 24 quarts). There is an abundance of kale, chard and lettuce ready to harvest. We have been making pesto, green smoothies, and fresh salads.

The new garden frame that was planted last week is growing well. It should be coming into production in August.

A trellis was created for the winter squash, but I realized when I went to drape the vines on the trellis that squash put out new roots every couple feet of vine. I guess that makes them more resilient in case part of a plant is damaged. I saw one buttercup squash fruit that is a little larger than a baseball.

The tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in the front are all looking healthy and reaching for the top of the enclosures. Everywhere I look are flowers and developing fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment