Wednesday, May 4, 2011

In the falling dark, and the falling rain

Suspicious looking furry critter
Last night, I planted 26 asparagii (asparaguys?) as darkness descended on our sleepy little town and the rain was fallin'. What a surprise when I visited the garden this morning, to find that some furry critter had dug up several of my asparagus roots. Fortunately, he did not find them very interesting because they were mostly intact. This is a great reminder of why I go through the trouble of completely enclosing all of my square foot garden beds with chicken wire. I may need to put down some livestock fence over the asparagus until they get established to discourage further digging.

2 comments:

  1. Great photo! Did you take it in your yard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed. He was sitting out there the next morning, but claimed he knew nothing about the digging. I think the furry creatures are all in cahoots.

    ReplyDelete