Tuesday, January 24, 2017

2016 Garden Review

We finished the last of the kale from the garden last night, lightly sauteed with garlic and shiitake. I have some choi in the refrigerator and that will be the last of the harvest from 2016. I kept a spreadsheet of savings last year and, even though it was a difficult year, we saved over $600 in groceries by having the garden. Much of that was spent investing in the irrigation system and materials for building more frames, but next year we should be able to save more.

January has been very mild with most daytime temperatures above freezing.

If I were on top of things, I would have greens growing in the basement and plants started for the spring, but I have been taking a break to focus on the Holidays and decluttering the house. Perhaps I will be able to start some plants in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment