Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Early Autumn Update

I continue to harvest kale, choi, tatsoi, lettuce, chard, parsley, celery, cabbage and bell peppers as needed. After these are finished, I am planning a reboot of the garden by rebuilding the beds as discussed previously. I may only build one or two before the weather turns really cold because I am also planning to experiment with aquaponics this winter in the basement.

For the aquaponics setup, I will use materials that I already have on hand as much as possible. I have a bunch of large food grade containers that were salvaged from the house fire which will work for holding the growing media (gravel and/or loam). I will drop these into a 2x6 frame and then situate a large plastic container underneath to hold the fish. The fun part will be figuring out how to circulate the water through the growing medium. I may experiment with a flood/drain system as well as some drip irrigation in regular soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment