Monday, February 22, 2016

Spring is quickly approaching

Spring is quickly approaching. The days are getting longer, the sun setting at almost 6 pm, and the threat of prolonged winter cold quickly diminishing.

I went out to check on the vole traps and to setup a few more because I would hate to see the plants that survived the winter be chomped by the little critters. I found one more vole that volunteered to become fertilizer for my asparagus bed. Now I am thinking that a vole trap and a compost tower will become standard accessories for each of my garden beds. The latest traps have an open top to make maintenance easier. The draw for the voles is the little opening in the end appearing as a neat place to hide. No other bait is required.

While peeking under the covers, I was somewhat surprised to see that the lettuce appears to have survived (in spite of temperatures dipping well below zero) and has even grown a bit since I added the second layer of plastic in January. I have purchased lettuce from the market about three times since our supply from the garden ran out in January.

I am feeling the urge to start some lettuce, parsley, choi, kale and other greens so that we can start eating fresh from the garden again.

No comments:

Post a Comment