Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Late July Update

I picked the final lettuce from the spring planting on Sunday. A couple weeks before that I picked about 7 grocery bags full and gave them away at work. Everyone was very appreciative and seemed to like it, especially the Two Star variety from Johnny's which appears to be a cross between green leaf and romaine. We harvested the tops from the basil and made another quart of pesto.

The tomatoes in the grow box have been suffering from what I believe is blight with the leaves turning yellow and brown, also some of the fruits have developed blossom-end rot (see photo below). I picked the worst affected leaves. Interestingly, the tomatoes in the frame right next to the grow box show no signs of blight. I have added some calcium to the soil, hopefully that will have some effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment