Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Winter garden update

I would say that the winter garden has done very well in spite of a difficult start. We have harvested a large number of greens on three occasions about 2 weeks apart (2+ gallons each time). So the garden has been at peak production since about October 11. That is about 70 days from planting. This weekend we harvested all of the Joi Choi in one of the garden containers, a large head of lettuce and some cress and arugula. I harvested a large handful of peas several days ago and there are still many flowers yet to bear fruit. Our raspberries are also still ripening and being harvested as quickly as they turn a nice deep red. The few kale plants that survived are doing well, though one has been attacked by something. The funny thing is that I didn't even notice what it was until I looked closely at the photo that my daughter took. See if you can find the culprits in the photo.

I will soon plant corn salad and some other things that I would like to see get a head start next spring and will be covering the gardens once deep frost is forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment