Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Racing against the dark

On October 3rd, I started several cold-weather crops inside including mizuna, cress, and pac choi. Yesterday afternoon after work, I tried to get these planted, but quickly ran out of daylight. Looking at the sunrise/sunset schedule for the next week is disconcerting, we will lose more than 15 minutes of daylight (wish I had found the time to setup garden lighting this year...).

I also harvested tomatoes and beans along with lettuce, kale and chard. The beans seemed to be at a good stopping point, but there were quite a few tomatoes that had not yet ripened.

I will be bending hoops later today. This will allow me to cover seven of the garden frames with ag-cloth before the expected freeze Friday evening.

Update: I did bend ten more hoops today, but only got four planted before darkness fell and it became apparent that I wasn't going to make further quick progress. Some plants will need to be harvested to fit under the hoops. I will be out there Friday evening with a halogen lamp covering everything ahead of the expected frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment