Monday, March 19, 2012

Beech seeds




We have been enjoying unusually mild days in the 70's. The lettuce is growing rapidly, but I haven't seen any of the directly planted seeds sprout yet. All of the garden frames are under plastic at night and when the daytime temperature is below 70 with cloud cover.

This evening, I planted about 60 European Beech (fagus sylvatica) seeds that sprouted in the refrigerator during stratification. This is about one-quarter of the seeds that were started. I wasn't expecting to plant them before summer based on the instructions from the seed company, but everything seems to be starting early this year.

I have admired hedges of beech trees at the Botanical Gardens in Niagara Falls and in Buffalo and would like to enclose the backyard with the trees that I am starting. Above is an extreme example of a beech hedge from Scotland and a more typical example.

No comments:

Post a Comment