Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spinach germination

A friend in Dansville mentioned that she has been having trouble getting spinach to germinate. On reflection, I realized that I have been disappointed with the germination rate of spinach as well the past couple of years. This is one of the reasons I decided to try starting it indoors this year.

So, it got me thinking that there might be a trick to getting spinach seeds to germinate, I pulled out my copy of "Seed Starter's Handbook" by Nancy Bubel. She suggests spreading spinach seeds between damp paper towels, placing them in a plastic bag and leaving in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. Who would think that seeds would germinate in the cold of a refrigerator? Well, if it works for Nancy, it should work for me. I will let you know how it turns out.

3 comments:

  1. hi there, i am also getting busy with the seeding in our small greenhouse. I like your plan for the spinach, i think i will copy you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I snuck a peak at the seeds in the refrigerator this afternoon. After three days, I believe I am beginning to see signs of life. I will transplant them to soil on Monday after five days in the cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '5 days in the cooler' sounds like words from the warden! Glad to see you are getting started on your garden....fortnight plantings sounds like poetry. It is. You are. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete