Friday, June 11, 2010

Second harvest


I have been wanting to get out to harvest all week and finally took some time this morning. After a period of fair skies and heat, the past week turned wet and chilly, I even heard the forecaster warn of possible frost in some areas last weekend. Mostly targeted for picking were the spinach, beets, carrots and arugula that are beginning to bolt. This along with some lettuce and our first snap peas will provide plenty of greens for the coming week. I offered some of our burgeoning lettuce crop to my neighbor who was too busy with teenagers to bother with a CSA vegetable share this year. I am hoping to plant some carrots and lettuce in the squares that have been freed up by this morning's harvest. This might turn out to be another cool summer which will be great for leafy crops, and not so great for tomatoes and peppers.

1 comment: