Monday, June 22, 2009

Tatopoes and the slug invasion


I received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my youngest for Father's Day. I also planted 16 potatoes in squares formerly occupied by kale, spinach and lettuce. The potatoes were purchased at the Farmer's Market, since all of the seed potato suppliers sold their stocks weeks ago.

The garden is in transition from the continuous bounty of fresh greens to the beginning appearance of broccoli, peas and baby tomatoes. At the same time, the lettuce and kale are producing more slowly and the spinach is history. I am looking forward to the 26 new lettuce plants maturing over the next couple of weeks. We will need them to avoid buying lettuce at the grocery store.

With all of the rain that we have been getting, the slugs are out in force. I am planning to invite them to a beer party (I have heard they can't resist a good beer), then ship them off to a distant location. I also learned that they do not like copper. I may line the inside of my garden frame with copper tubing next year to see if that keeps them out. The gardens were pest free up to this point with more than one visitor commenting on how few holes were present in the vegetable leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment